5-19-2014: Well, Gavin is moving laterally now; he's moved just over from his last pick of Brazil to Peru! This was actually a country combo night, as we chose to include Rory's pick, Kazakhstan, as well. You don't get much different than those two countries! I have to admit, Kazakhstan's popular food made me a little queasy. Horse meat is apparently one of their main ingredients and I thought I'd be hard pressed to find that in the U.S. - as an edible, anyway. Nor could I stomach the idea, though I realize, many countries eat other kinds of meat that we are not use to in America. Anyway, we decided to go with a popular Kazakh bread roll instead, called Baursak. The ingredient measurements were a bit difficult to follow (like "a glass" of sour milk), but I guess I figured it out (I just added enough to make the dough pliable) because they turned out pretty good. Peru, I have to admit, I found more appetizing! Though, they too have their own unique meat choices... We chose to make Pollo a la brasa. By coincidence, our next door neighbors had just returned from a trip to Peru, so it was neat to incorporate that into our learning about the country. We enjoyed looking at pictures online and in library books from both countries. We cooked the whole roasted chicken on the grill, though the recommendation was in a fire pit. We do have a fire pit, but we opted to do it on the grill - I would like to try it in the fire pit sometime, though (for now, we have only managed to do smores on the pit!). I had just read about a Guy Fieri method of cooking whole roasted chickens where you remove the breast bone and grill it very flat by laying a wrapped brick on top of the chicken. It cooks the chicken more quickly and more evenly. So, that's what we did! The chicken turned out quite well. Could maybe have been a bit more flavorful, but... our family all enjoyed it, so that is good by me! We also enjoyed the Baursak - I had a hard time keeping myself from popping those down! Typical for me, the carb lover :( Overall, a successful, combo country night!
http://perudelights.com/pollo-a-la-brasa-a-golden-passion/
http://www.bestrealty.kz/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=186:baursaki&lang=en

No comments:
Post a Comment